Saturday 2 January 2021

Begrudgement Day

 After quite enjoying a feisty encounter between Bristol and Newcastle, I remained glued to the couch to watch the Scarlets take on the Dragons. This was a huge disappointment I am afraid. You got the distinct impression that on New Year’s Day and in the absence of a crowd those who had turned up didn’t really want to be there at all. Wayne Pivac took his leave at half time as he probably had some paint drying that needed watching. It was a real shame as conditions were good and I had been looking forward to a close hard fought local derby. Even Nigel Owens failed to up the entertainment value of a drab mistake-ridden affair.

There were a shedful of injuries it is true which certainly didn’t help. The loss of Basham and Holmes for the Dragons were probably the most hard felt as they had been the two players who had added a bit of sparkle to proceedings. Thank goodness the game ended with a moment of optimism when Costello, a late substitute for the Scarlets, showed a touch of class when he scored a last minute try. The Scarlets duly ran out winners 20-3 – a score line which rather flattered them.

I have to confess that I did flick over now and then to watch a compelling darts match between Gerwyn Price and Daryl Gurney. It comes to something when darts is infinity more entertaining than rugby. For the record Price won in a final leg decider.

I didn’t watch the Cardiff Blues v the Ospreys as I am not a Premier Sports subscriber and I had lost control of the TV by the time the highlights were on.  The game ended in a victory for the Ospreys 3-17 so the West came out on top.

It doesn’t seem as if there is much to be optimistic about from a Wales perspective from yesterday’s fare with the Six Nations just around the corner. But as ever you never know – stranger things have happened.

I am sure like me you will be glad to see the back of 2020. This wretched Covid 19 pandemic has had a major impact on my life. No live rugby, no holidays, no gym, may seem small sacrifices in the grand scheme of things but they have had made me an even grumpier old man. On top of this, I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer which I could well do without. Still there are people worse off than I am and my heart goes out to those who have suffered the most serious consequences of them or their loved ones being infected with Covid 19.

2021 has surely got to be better hasn’t it?

Stay safe everyone.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your health news. Hope everything goes well for you

    ReplyDelete