Saturday 23 April 2022

Player Welfare Must Come First

I have a heavy cold and decided not to make the trip to Ystalyfera to watch Pooler’s latest game. As it turned out, due to extremely unfortunate circumstances, the match was abandoned just before half time with Pooler leading just 0-7. An Ystalyfera player, Arwel Thomas, was badly injured and could not be moved from the pitch until an ambulance arrived. The anticipated wait for the ambulance was several hours so the only sensible course of action was to abandon the match. Players’ welfare should always come first in these circumstances. I wish Arwel all the very best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

There has been much speculation about the make-up of the Premiership from 2023 onwards. It seems that there is a proposal in the offing to reduce the size of the Premiership to just eight or nine clubs – two clubs per region plus one from North Wales. If this is the case, I find the chopping and changing and tinkering with the league structure quite staggering. I have lost count of the number of changes that have been made and sadly Pontypool always seems to come out of them badly.  I always thought that reorganisation should be from the top down or from the bottom up rather than starting in the middle but then what do I know.  I will not comment further until I actually see the proposal apart from to say that a league of eight/nine clubs does not seem to be big enough in a season that lasts eight or nine months.

Next week Pooler are due to visit Cardiff Met University for what is normally a close and high scoring encounter. Hopefully I will have recovered by then.

Come on Pooler.   

No comments:

Post a Comment