Sunday 17 November 2013

Don’t decry for me Argentina

I was there to watch Wales finally win an Autumn rugby international after lots of valiant and lots of not so valiant attempts.
‘It was only Argentina after all,’ I hear you snort. Well it was only a year ago when they stuffed us comprehensively and make no mistake this was a tough test match.  Yes Wales were always in control, but Argentina made it difficult at times and could have scored a couple of tries.
In a lot of ways I found the game frustrating and wished that Wales had thrown caution to the winds a bit more often. I find the tactic of Halfpenny virtually always kicking the ball in the air after he catches it in his own half irritating - particularly in a game like this. When Wales opened up and played at pace they made big inroads into Argentina territory and could have scored a couple more tries. Still we needed a win and the George North try in the first half was a beauty and what about Mike Phillips running 80 yards to score. If he carries on like that, Pooler will make him an offer!
The question of who plays at outside half against Australia has not really been answered in my view. I guess the way our centres are getting injured we might have to play Biggar, Priestland and Hook in the same team. I wonder if Gavin is waiting for a phone call.
I watched the Ireland v Australia game in the pub and we will have our work cut out to make an impression on the Aussies who really looked sharp in attack. Their scrum seemed to be in little trouble too.
Thank goodness Pooler are playing Bargoed next Saturday, these trips to Cardiff are proving expensive. After the match we had to wait 45 minutes to get the shuttle train back to Newport. Apparently they had let a train leave just before the match finished so we had to wait for it to go to Newport and back. Great planning!


PS I think England lost but they are still definitely going to win the RWC. It says so in the papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment