Saturday 23 October 2021

I Can’t Get No Satisfaction

 Still three weeks to go before Pooler play a league match. In the words of the Rolling Stones “I can’t get no satisfaction” at the moment. I’ve tried and I’ve tried to watch the games on the TV but it just not the same.

The WRU decision to delay the start of the league season looks more and more curious as we see the rugby world in action all around us but still we sit around waiting. You will remember that originally we were not due to start until 2022 so at least now we are in touching distance. Can’t smell the liniment yet but it won’t be long.

Pooler did have a warm up game last weekend although we couldn’t watch. They travelled to Bristol Bears to take on the A Team. This was always going to be an extremely tough encounter. Pitting themselves against a professional outfit was a pretty steep learning curve Despite losing 68-5 I am sure that the experience will benefit the squad enormously.

The only rugby I have watched so far this weekend was Exeter Chiefs v London Irish and I have to say I enjoyed it (a little). In the Welsh psyche it is always good to see the underdog beat the big dog  - unless you happen to support the big dog. London Irish produced a tremendous display of running rugby and committed defence to win deservedly.

Next Saturday, by way of an hors d’oeuvre for the Pooler season, Wales play New Zealand. This is followed closely by a match against the World Champions South Africa. We must be gluttons for punishment. I am attending the match next Saturday and, from a rugby perspective, I am afraid I can only predict an All Blacks victory. What with e tickets and Covid passes and bag searches the other thing I can predict is absolute chaos before the match. I may be proved wrong but I can see us being instructed to try and get into the ground two hours or more before kick-off. It would have been far better if this had been trialled on a smaller scale first.

As to the Welsh team, which will be shorn of the players plying their trade in England, the management team will be facing a number of selection dilemmas. I haven’t really watched much regional rugby so I am not really in a position to judge current form. I do look at the results and overall they do not make particularly inspiring reading. I am sure whoever represents Wales will do their utmost but I do feel pessimistic

Anyway, I wish Wales all the very best and hope that I am not still grappling with my phone outside the stadium when the whistle blows for the start of the match and indeed the final whistle.

Come on Wales!  

No comments:

Post a Comment